re: XKE: Should I Buy

To: dve@bnr.ca, BRITISH-CARS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: re: XKE: Should I Buy
From: Colin Brace <BRACEC@A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 16:12:00 -0500 (EST)
          Daniel,
               Your prospective XKE sounds suspiciously like my close friend
          Ricks, aka "The Constitution" when he got it. To wit:

          >1967 Jaguar XKE 2+2 4.2L. The owner is asking $9000 but will
          negotiate.

          Bet he will. Rick's is a '68 Series 1 1/2 roadster, the guy wanted
          $12,000 in 1988 "But there are three offers ahead of you". He
          should have run then. Ah, the lure of what Henry Manney III called
          "The greatest crumpet catcher known to man". (Duck, here it comes)
          Of course, Rick got The Phone Call. Something about "Gee, the other
          three offers fell through, so it's yours if you want it" and "I'm
          selling it to make room for a new XJS" Yeah, sure. As you probably
          figured out by now, Rick bought it.

          >Minor rust on rear quarter panels and rockers panels, roof in
          primer.

          Whoa! No such thing as "minor rust" on an E-Type! Rick's showed
          none. BTW, we just are putting the finishing touches on the new
          Martin Robey shell. 'Nuff said, IMO.

          >no noises or smoke

          Sounds like he did a real cheap "rebuild". Ricks didn't smoke on
          the test. When he put oil in it & started it he had no mosquito
          problems for a month. The slime that sold it to him HAD NO OIL IN
          THE SUMP!!!

          >doesn't drive it much.

          Run the other way as fast as you can!

          >Is the 4.2 engine as unreliable as the 12 Cyl.

          Sounds like you've been reading John's Cars ads. Jag engines are
          VERY robust, If you're dealing with an almost 30 year old car,
          yeah, it may be plain worn out, so isn't a '67 Chevy. And would you
          be looking at more than the purchase price to bring it up to snuff?
          Get a Hemmings, figure a new paint job, too & you'll see (the
          answer is a resounding yes, in our experience.

          Run away, now, it's cheaper to spend more on a nicer car initially,
          IMO.

          Hope this helps.

          Colin      WA1KWA

          bracec@a1.mgh.harvard.edu