Oil coolers, etc.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil coolers, etc.
From: gpetrola@prairienet.org (Gregory Petrolati)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 08:13:27 CST

        Gentle S.O.L.s,

        I am planning to install an oil cooler in my TR4 as part of
        the engine rebuild I'm doing this winter. From what I've seen
        the traditional location for the cooler is behind the front
        valance which has a hole cut in it to allow for the air flow.
        What are the alternatives? It looks like you could construct
        a mount for the cooler in front of the radiator. Has anyone
        tried this approach? I also thought that a possible location
        might be beside the radiator and then modifying the air duct,
        or having an aluminum duct made with an allowance for the oil
        cooler. I would appreciate any thoughts you have on this subject.

        Another question Re. oil coolers... How do you get rid of the
        oil in them for an oil change? Is it just a bit of dirty oil left in
the        in the cooler and lines that mixes with the clean stuff? Or
        is there a way to remove the old oil without disturbing the
        fittings on the cooler (I'm told that you should be "very care
        ful with it as it can be delicate).

        Finally too mourn the loss of Peter Cook... He was a great
        talent. He and his comedic accomplice Dudley Moore have left
        a fine body of hilarity for us.... (Check out "BEDAZZLED" and
        "THOSE DARING YOUNG MEN IN THEIR JAUNTY JALOPIES" and that
        doesn't even scratch the surface).

        Thanks,
                Greg ("Mr. Mess President... THE MONTY") Petrolati

--
 Send in a check for $50,000 and a brand new Aston Martin DB7 and
  you could win... a statement in 25 words or less!!!

   gpetrola@firefly.prairienet.org (greg Petrolati)  1962 TR4 CT4852L