Re: Fast Road Engine for MG

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fast Road Engine for MG
From: "Doug Mitchell" <doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 15:06:42 -0500
Fellow Scions;

Scott #1 wrote a very nice piece on his MG lump. Has anyone done something
similar with a Spit 1300/1500 motor? I am looking for some more power out
of either the original 1500 or the 1300 that's been in the car for 13+
years.

I've been through the Competition Prep manual, but I am looking for more
of a street engine than a race engine. I don't really want to slap on
Webers, I do have a set of dual SU's but no manifold. I have thought
about a new cam, better springs, valves, etc., but I have never followed
through on any plans. I have modified the suspension so that the handling
is excellent, but when I autocrossed the car, I kept the modifications
to the letter of the rules (Detroit Council of Sports Car Clubs). I also
kept it as close to stock as possible with the exception of the few
emissions control devices that were on the car.

Suggestions? Greg? Andy? Ric S.?

BTW, I don't want to put in a GT6 engine, I would like to keep the
appearance of a stocker.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Doug Mitchell - Tired of a 48hp Spit.