Mini Moke & others

To: British-Cars@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Mini Moke & others
From: harrold@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU (Dick Harold)
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 1995 12:16:37 -0500

From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: Mini Moke

A british car enthusiast who has heard of the Hoppenstand but not of the
Mini Moke?  Well, of course, *everybody* is familiar with the Hoppenstand
and the Tasco Town Shopper.  But Gee, Dick, what is a Mini Moke?  Next
thing, you'll be asking what a Leaf or a Powell is.

----- clip here -----

*** The Hoppenstand was made by Hoppenstand  Motors, Inc. of (Greenville or
Greencastle?) PA and had an air-cooled, two cylinder engine located in the
rear.  I think the engine was flat like early Crosley engines.  The
Hoppenstand was built in '48-49 and caused such a comotion at the time down
at the malt shop that I've never even saw a photo of one!  I'd like to find
someone who knows more about the car but.....

*** There was a Powell built in the US in '55-'56 as I remember, but I
never saw any details on this venture.  There may have been a Powell built
about 1910 too.  As for the Leaf, I have several - in my yard!

*** Thanks for the info on the Mini Moke.  I'm not up on things across the
pond.  I have enough trouible trying to keep up with things here.  When you
get beyond MGB, Bently, Triumph and that one with two Rs in the name,
you're over my head.

----- clip here -----

I think your doubt re: the Kurtis-->Muntz is well placed; I question
whether the Kurtis became the Muntz Jet.  Kurtis was a race car fabricator
who made a couple of passenger car models.  One resembled a
street-modified race car, while the other was a very pretty car with an
indented contrasting color panel on each door as a major styling feature.
Mad Man Muntz owned appliance/TV stores on the Left Coast, and built an
envelope bodied convertible for a little while.  Maybe they connected at
some point, but I don't remember it.  I have seen a MJ, but never a
Kurtis.

----- clip here -----

*** The Kurtis (not the race car version) was built by Kurtis-Kraft, Inc.
(the race car people) of Los Angeles and Glendale, CA.  Frank Kurtis was
the man behind this effort and brought out his car in '49.  It had a 100'
wheel base and you could select from several V8 engines.  It was a
convertible with a single bench seat and had a distinctive grill/bumper
arrangement.  Headlights were recessed into the front wings.

*** In '50 or '51 the Kurtis design was sold to Earl (Mad Man) Muntz who
stretched the wheel base to 116" making it a four-seater.  He marketed it
for a short time with very limited success.  His TV and appliance business
was much more profitable.  Mad Man kept and drove one of his cars for many
years.

Dick