Re: CoBra

To: Roger Garnett <Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: CoBra
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 14:21:28 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 3 Jan 1995, Roger Garnett wrote:

That Christopher Ball had written:

> > O.K. Any Mace has stumped me. Anyone know what a CoBra motor for a
> > Crosley HotShot is?
> >
> > Christopher  Ball
>
> That's easy- Copper Brazed. As in, the water jacket. The pre-war, and early
> post war Crosleys used this (I think that version was a 2 stroke?)  then
> they went to a much better cast iron, overhead cam, 750cc 4, which was
> "beefed up" used in many H-Mod racers in the 50's. Especially with the "hot'
> crossflow head from the marine version.

I am pretty sure that Cobra 4 cylinders were made, and used during the war
in stationary power applications (maybe in tanks, too).  I think they were
used in early postwar cars before the advent of the cast iron engine.  As
I dimly recall, they were brazed together largely out of sheet metal.
Imagine, an engine that can rust out.

Ray Gibbons