RE: British Cars Digest #1508 Tue Jan 3 01:15:01 MST 1995

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: British Cars Digest #1508 Tue Jan 3 01:15:01 MST 1995
From: "ALFIE::MRGATE::\"A1::FELTS1\""@id1.atc.alcoa.com
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 10:30:27 -0500 (EST)
From:   NAME: Tom L. Felts
        FUNC: SFTY (38)
        TEL: 412-337-2024                     <FELTS1@A1@ALFIE>
To:     NAME: VMSMail User SMTP%"british-car
<SMTP%"british-cars@autox.team.net"@MRGATE>

Need help/wisdom/advice/ect, ect re: 66 E-Type.  When my car arrived home,
partially restored, I noticed it sitting up in the front---more than normal
even with the bonnet off.  I measured the distance from the suspension
pivot point and found it to be over 11 inches---8.5 is normal. A closer
look showed the shocks full extended with the bushings distorted.

Obvious conclusion---the torsion bars were not put in correctly.

Looking at the manual, I see what must be removed before making the
adjustment, but I was interesterd in any info on pitfalls/tricks/easy
methods to making the adjustment.  I did mark the locations of the bars
before removing them, but after painting them the marks must not have been
visible, and the restorer just put them in thinking they were correct.  If
I as a novice could tell they were wrong, makes you wonder why he
couldn't!!

Any advice would be helpful.

Tom----monday I saw a movie--didn't get the name, where a bright red E-type
was hit and destroyed by a train---a relatively new movie too.