Re: old speckled hen/freeze plug absent

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: old speckled hen/freeze plug absent
From: RLDesign@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 05:07:18 -0500
re: freeze plug

Once I was in the middle of bumf***, as they say, touring with a friend in
his '74 "B", and the same thing happened. Lost all of our water, and so did
the car. And, peeking into his formerly immaculate engine bay (and his engine
was recently rebuilt, like yours), we realized that it was the plug on the
very back of the head...impossible to get to for a conventional repair w/o
the head off.

We eventually used a couple of bolts to hold in a new core plug, trapping a
closed end wrench in the process (my friend left it there for a couple of
months...pointed it out to others as his "hydraulic spark retarder").

As to why it happens, I'd love to know, too. What a mess.

--Roger