Re: Elva Courier

To: AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Re: Elva Courier
From: Mike Causer <mike@setanta.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 15:39:28 +0000
> From: Andy Mace

> On Fri, 23 Dec 1994, Mike Causer wrote:
>
> > All praise to Caterham -- they are about the only ones left of
> > the British sports car tradition!
>
> Mike, no offense, but perhaps the Messrs. Morgan might take umbrage at
> such a statement? And, higher up the scale, perhaps Ford -- through its
> Jaguar and Aston Martin connections -- would similarly feel sloughed
> over? ;-)

I was thinking really about the outfits who were trying to build the
neatest, fastest car they could for minimum outlay.  Morgan, I'm
afraid, have never appealed to me -- and the only two I've driven were
amazingly heavy.  I know lots of folks like them, but they are '30s
cars.

Jaguar haven't made a sports car (by my definition) since the demise of
the 6-cylinder E-type, nor Aston since the DB4 perhaps.  Everyone's
definition of sports car will be different.   I might allow the Ford
RS200 in though ;-)

> Otherwise, I agree. Even ignoring the sports car side of the market, there
> did seem to be a much wider range of choice of distinctively different
> vehicles. Convertible bodies available in, say, the Triumph Herald and
> Vitesse range or the Morris Minor;

That side of the market is thriving in Europe though, you can get
almost any medium-sized car directly from the manufacturers as a
convertible, and aftermarket conversions for many others -- even Mini!

> providing the sort of vehicle so many of Scions are so fond of -- a
> relatively basic 2-seater roadster/convertible (or coupe/GT variant) with
> a bit of personality, responsiveness and that comfortable-pair-of-shoes feel.

Good definition.

> Sigh...ouch! (just tripped getting down off the soapbox!)

Guess I'm going to get flamed by Moggie-fanciers now,  no offense meant
really.

Happy Saturnalia!

Mike

Mike Causer           Setanta Technology         mike@setanta.demon.co.uk