engine removal?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: engine removal?
From: Bost_David/furman@furman.edu
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 94 09:08:23 -0500
Item Subject: Message text
My 73 MGB's transmisison is leaking out of the front seal.  More than usual,
that is.  All of the literature firmly states that transmission removal requires
that the engine be removed.  Is it possible to get the tranny out without
pulling the engine?  Is engine removal necessary because there's not enough room
to pull the transmission back far enough to break clear from the engine?  I
suspect that this question has been asked mand answered any times here, but I'm
new to the group, so forgive my naivete.  BTW, it has an overdrive.

Is engine removal easier or more difficult with the transmission attached?  How
much time is required?  I actually did this before, many years ago when I used
to work on cars for a living.  But it has been a long, long time.

Assuming that I get the transmission out (one way or another), is the front seal
replacement a big deal?  I've looked at Benchley and Haynes, and it doesn't
appear to be much of a problem, but then again, I've never done one.

David Bost