Re: Spring for Spitfire Clutch Mast

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spring for Spitfire Clutch Mast
From: pbw@chong.dseg.ti.com (Pat Willems (@chong))
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 94 07:36:46 CST
        On Fri, 16 Dec 1994 SeanFJohns@aol.com wrote:

        > I took apart my clutch master cylinder since it had no action; turns
out the
        > internal spring was in three pieces.  None of my catalogs has the
spring sold

        Sean,
                Nearly every late spit master cyl I've taken apart has had this
        problem.  The early spit/GT-6/any other TR springs I've taken apart
don't
        ever seem to be broken.
        If my memory is correct, the early ones aren't CAD-2 plated like the
later ones.
          From Shigley & Mishkey, or whatever your favorite
spring/fastener/bearing
        engineering textbook is, you'll note that Fatigue life of any given
        sample part is decreased around 50% with electrolytic surface plating.
        I've always just replaced the later springs with earlier ones.
                Do try TRF, Moss, Vicky Brit, Triumph Tune, etc.  I imagine one
of
        them will have it.
                If you really can't find the spring by itself, mail me back,
and I'll
        send you one of the early, unplated ones when I get back to my shop
after finals
        are done.

                        Greg
                                    Greg Meboe     meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
                                    Dept. of Mechanical and Materials
Engineering
                                    Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                                    '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6

Greg,
Thanks for solving this one.  I have not taken apart that many Spit
clutch master cylinders but the two I took apart many years ago had
this problem.  Most of my car work was prior to any formal engi'ning
education so it never occurred to me that the plating could do it.  Now
that I know, I will replace this spring with an unplated next time I
rebuild a master cylinder.  Thanks again.

Pat Willems
pbw@chong.dseg.ti.com
Flower Mound, TX