Re: PPG paints and stupid fluff

To: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Subject: Re: PPG paints and stupid fluff
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 16:54:02 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 13 Dec 1994, William Hartwell Woodruff wrote:

>       We talked about PPG DP-40 a few weeks back.  I asked a
> friend who owns a body shop what he thought about it.  He gave
> pretty much same rave reviews. (although he said most new paints are
> pretty good).  He also mentioned that he thought there might be such
> a thing as DP-90 which is a similar, but black, epoxy primer.
> If this is the case, do you think it would be possible to paint my
> XK 120 frame solely with it, or would I have to top coat the primer with
> another black?

There are other colors, at least DP40 and DP50.  If there is a black you
could probably stop after the epoxy primer, but the finish would be
considerably duller than the usual chassis black.  DP primer is a
"non-sanding" primer, meaning it can be topcoated without sanding if the
top coat is applied within a specified time (the label specifies it; I
think the recoat period is a week).  It is therefore a pretty trivial job
to topcoat it.  Within the week, just crank up the compressor and spray on
a topcoat.  PPG make a "flattening agent" that you can add to their
conventional black acrylic enamel to make a nice semigloss paint.  If you
add hardener it will cure quicker and be easier to touch up if damaged
during assembly (less chance touch up paint will lift previous coats).
However, the hardener makes the fumes toxic, so be very careful.  For that
matter, don't hang around sniffing DP40/90.

Ray Gibbons