Re: TR4 compression

To: lti@garnet.msen.com (Limno-Tech Inc.)
Subject: Re: TR4 compression
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 10:42:30 -0500
Dean Mericas writes:

> I have been monitoring the compression in my TR4 over the past two years,
> and am starting to get concerned.  During my end-of-season, before we pack
> it away, just to make sure I have all my winter projects identified, going
> over the car ritual, I measured compression.  With the engine up to
> temperature (170 F) and all plugs removed, I observed the following:

>       #1      100 #/in2
>       #2      170 #/in2
>       #3      155 #/in2
>       #4      155 #/in2

> All of the plugs had a nice tan/grey color, and there was no evidence of
> fouling or oil splash.

> Clearly I have a problem, hopefully just in the #1.  I squirted some 20W
> oil in the #1 cylinder, turned the engine over a few times and took
> another reading -- came out the same.

> 1. Are there any other tests that I should do before tearing into
> the engine?

Well, let's see.  You have bad compression in one, and only one, cylinder.
My first suspicisions would be either valve adjustment, or a leaking head
gasket.  Minor ring-related problems will usually give a better reading after
a few squirts of engine oil.  Thus, I would suspect either valve adjustment,
a leaking head gasket, or a more major problem.  Since the valve adjustment
can be checked with only removing the rocker cover (and not the whole head),
I would *definitely* check that first.

If that were to result in no improvement, pulling the head would seem like
the next step...

--ken ('74 TR6)

Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders, PTP2-A001 | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
65 River Road               | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631