Webbers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Webbers
From: thelaw@aloha.com (Paul Swengler)
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 1994 06:08:41 -1000
"TeriAnn Wakeman" wrote
        I suspect you have a side draft manifold, and they are talking down
       draft manifolds.  Though for the life of me I can figure out why
       someone would want to pull SUs & put on downdrafts.  You are addig
        at least a right angle to what was essentually a straight shot to
        the valve pocket.

Right on! Nigel Wrench (TR250) came to me in a basket. the carbs were ZS's
and in pieces. I couldn't get them to work right so I trashed them and put
on webbers. Were they SU's I'd have kept them.

Yes the manifold is like a plate of pasta but once I down jetted the carbs
from 145 to 105mm they seem very stable. No adjustment in two years, and the
plugs are a nice buff colour. I don't race Nigel so I'm unaware of problems
associated with those aspects. Nigel gets 19 MPG in traffic and I have no
idea what it would do on the highway because we don't have any highways that
are longer than fifteen miles. But it's better than my 74 MGB was but less
than my 59 TR3 was.

Since I got Nigel I have been given two more 69 tr6 engines with ZS &
manifold in place and a GT6 head that are in "storage". I have no intention
of replacing the webbers with SZ's

On another note yesterday I had to put the top up on Nigel the first time
since January. It's the rainy season.  "I'm dreaming of a wet Christmas..."

Everyone learns from their mistakes...
Some people learn to repeat them while others learn not to.

Paul Swengler                      Providing Hawaii's Legal Community
The Law Book Store            with quality legal materials since 1990
4557 Ukali St.            New & Used Books, Anatomical Models, CD-Rom
Honolulu HI 96818
Voice: 808-422-6322    Fax: 808-423-8282