Al >> Caustic Soda :-(

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Al >> Caustic Soda :-(
From: Marcel Chichak <chichm@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 1994 22:52:34 MST
@LURK_MODE=OFF

Yesterday LUCE@KRDC.INT.ALCAN.CA said:

>... hot caustic (or cold caustic, for that matter) will dissolve aluminium
>very nicely.  NEVER put any light metal parts in your hot tank unless you
>want them with slightly different dimensions and a nice etched finish.

Does this mean that I shouldn't put my pristine MGB hood (bonnet) in the
hot tank just because it feels heavy? Because when I come back on Monday
morning all I will find is a bunch of locking plates, hood prop and a
12" diameter lump of sizzling aluminum? Is that why?

OK, I won't. Nope, never again.....:-( DUH! Where did I put that magnet?

@LURK_MODE=ON

*Marcel Chichak  Certified Mini Nut | Go in deeper, come out  *
*voice (403)466-6004                |harder and come from     *
*Edmonton, Alberta, Canada          |behind!, That's what it's*
*chichm@supernet.ab.ca              |like to race a Mini!     *
'69 Morris Cooper, 39,999.9 Miles and counting!