A Happy Middle Ground

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: A Happy Middle Ground
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 12:49:00 -0500 (EST)
On the topic of SU fuel pumps I must say that I am now a member of the
"Keep the SU Pump" club. I had problems with the beast at one time but
it was the throw over adjustment. A fellow SOL in Canada (Sask I think)
solved it for me. It has been great since. I have fitted a diode as
well though. (sorry I can't remember your name! You have my undying
gratitude)

The middle ground I will suggest for those of you wishing to "go
modern" but still look original is the kit sold by Moss to
convert the pump from points to an electronic trigger, much the same
as you would with a distributor on an old car.
It fits right in the cap where the points were, clean as a whistle.

However, having said that I must add that I truly think that the SU pumps
are much maligned. They are in a dirty, easy to forget spot as a rule and
our memories play tricks on us with regard to how long they go bewteen
servicing quite often.  I have moved the pump on the Healey up to the
underside of the rear seat bucket. I have hinged the one seat bucket
and can swing it up to clobber the pump or service it when required,
from the comfort of the drivers seat. I also built a little shiled for
the pump to protect it from the worst of the rear wheel throw off.
Since adjusting the pump and building this little trap door I have
not needed to do a thing to it of course,

Christopher  Ball  triumph@io.org   Toronto, Ont. (416) 751-8300
Work 75 Spitfire // 64 Healey 3000 Mk. III // 59 TR3A //66 BSA Thunderbolt