dead spring on a B

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: dead spring on a B
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 1994 11:26:46 +0500
Fellow fiends:

Though I am putting 'old whitesides' away for the winter :-(  I am putting
together a list of odds and ends to take care of at first light of spring
(dead of winter is just too d**n cold in my garage to do work; color me
wimpy).  One of the things I'm thinking about correcting has to do with the
fact that the car lists slightly to port (driver's side, for those of you
without friends with boats).  It can be either the front or the rear spring,
but I don't know which one on this particular car and I don't have a clever
way of testing without simply replacing with new springs.

As with shock absorbers, I assume that one only buys springs in pairs.  I'd
rather not have to buy four new springs, but be a bit clever and figure out
which one really is the culprit.  Is there a smart way to do this?  Should I
just go ahead and assume that it is the rears?  Which springs are more
likely to loose their essence?  Comments?  Advice?  Donations?

Cheers,
Will Zehring