BMIHT certificate

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: BMIHT certificate
From: Daniel Heyer <heyer@imdm.uke.uni-hamburg.d400.de>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 1994 00:53:14 +0100
Thanks to everybody who jumped on the Virginia car history thread.
Although I didn't get any specific information about the TR's history
during its VA existence, thanks to Adrian Jefferies, I managed to contact
the British Motors Industries Heritage Trust. To give you an idea what
you get for your 20 pounds, this is what the certificate looks like:

               British Motor Industry Heritage Trust
          Production Record Trace Certificate Number: 94/6264
                        TRIUMPH TR4A
We have researched the records and have the following information on this
vehicle:
Car/chassis number         CTC/50932-LO
Engine number              Originally: CT/50406-E
Body number                50745/CT
Specification              LHD, North American Export
Colour, exterior           Triumph Racing Green
        trim               Black (Leather)
        hood (top)         Black
Date(s) built              8 February 1965
Date despatched            24 February 1965
Destination (dealer)       Standard Triumph Motor Company Inc.,
                           Baltimore, U.S.A.
Other numbers              Key numbers: FS.905, FS.938
(where recorded)
Deatils of equipment       Disc wheels
(where recorded)           Overdrive
                           Independent rear suspension
                           Heater
                           Windscreen washer
                           Black tonneau cover
                           Internal sun visors
                           6.95-15 Goodyear Whitewall tyres
Other information          The present engine, type TS, is from a
                           Triumph TR3A (capacity: 1991 cc) and
                           dates to 1959 [TS 56594 E]

(follows my name, date and signature of the BMIHT archivist)

Well... You probably noticed the naughty bit, as Monty Python's might
put it: my car hasn't got the original engine! Why didn't I ever wonder
about the bizarre engine number? Surprise, surprise. Maybe this is the
reason why I just couldn't get a decent idle, not to speak about the
high-rev hiccups, as the car is certainly TR4A from the manifold
upwards with its double ZS carbs and the closed breather circuit...
Thank you, PO! What an interesting puzzle to solve during those long
and dark december evenings. Somehow this makes further decisions easy,
as I will not stick to originality as close as I might have done with
an original engine, but I will try to get a rebuilt TR4A engine with an
unleaded head. These cost about DM 3.500 (US 2.150) around here on an
exchange program with a 1 year warranty. Sigh...

Daniel "I should have learned my numbers" Heyer |'65 TR4AIRS CTC50932 LO
E-Mail: heyer@imdm.uke.uni-hamburg.de           |'79 VW Golf LS