Re: Shipping from/to Europe from CA

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shipping from/to Europe from CA
From: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu (Flemming Larsen)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 1994 21:05:31 -0800
A few years ago, I had a boat (33' sailboat) built in Denmark, and had
it shipped from Bremerhaven in Germany to Oakland, California via the
Panama Canal.
I found that it took a _LOT_ of calling around to get the best price.
I got the best deal from a company named Weyerhausen. Apparently they
sail almost empty from Europe to Seattle, where they pick up a full load
of newsprint paper for the european newspapers.
The biggest problem was the insurance. Most of the insurance companies
would not insure the boat unless it was shipped inside a container and
below the deck (it was too wide to fit inside a container).
Again, it took a _LOT_ of phone calls, before I found a reasonable
price on the insurance.
You may be better off renting an entire 40 foot container, and stock it
as full as possible with LBCs and Mobil 1 synthetic oil.
Be warned, though. Accidents happen! I have seen a Ferrari 250GTO which
was shipped in a container, which was dropped from a crane at the dock.
Not a pretty sight!
You might consider an alternative to buying LBCs in the US and paying for
shipping them to Europe: Move to California!

I did.

 -- Flemming Larsen                         flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu