Re: Picking nits about Land Rover useability

To: vernk@carver.DataFlux.BC.CA, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Picking nits about Land Rover useability
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 94 11:08:07 -0700
In message <9410261643.AA03420@carver.DataFlux.BC.CA> Vern Klukas writes:

> Kendall Robinson asked about the useability of Land Rovers on the road.
> Well, these guys are the people who parodied the Rolls "God this car's
> quiet" ad with "at 50 mph, all you can hear is the engine." But they are
> quite useable, much like a 1950 Chev pickup is useable. I wouldn't take it
> on a trip, or go to the opera (okay, I wouldn't go to the opera anyway) but
> I'd definatly drive it everywhere else. I think 10K is a bit steep, unless
> it has been very well maintained/restored.

> Vern Klukas                                       I'm a little teapot
> vernk@carver.dataflux.bc.ca or                    Short and...
> ug141@freenet.victoria.bc.ca or
> inkspot@carver.dataflux.bc.ca

As the owner of a series IIA 109 two door Land Rover since 1978 and an 88 Land
Rover brfore then, I take exception to some of Vern's comments.

Old Land Rovesrs do well on long trips as long as they are in condition to take
the trip (like any other car) and as long as you are not in a hurry.  If you are
in a hurry, the new Defenders, Discoverys and Range Rovers can get you there
quickly.  The old series I, II and III Land Rovers are not very fast (55 is a
good clip without an overdrive).  The older cars are noiser than the new ones.
Most of the noise you hear are wheel and worn gear noise.  The engine is quiet
as long as the exhaust system is intact and functioning properly.

The older Land Rovers have leaf springs at each corner and have a very stiff
ride.  Mine gets more like a saloon car with eight or nine hundred pounds loaded
in.  The Newer 4X4 Rovers have coil springs at each corner and a softer ride.
The redesigned '95 Range Rover is targeted at BMW/Lexus/Mercedes buyers.  On the
Land Rover list, a new Discovery owner was just asking about an optional 6 CD
player.  Something that would be useless if the car was as Vern described.

Having had my Land Rover on camping trips along the west coast from boarder to
boarder, I can say it is my car of choice for these trips.  Its rugged,
comfortable, (I like to strach my legs every hour or so in anything I drive/ride
in) slow, noisy (worn transfer case gears), dripping with chrisma, and fun.
Discoverys & Range Rovers are positivly decadent without sacrificing off
roadability.  I'll take the BGT if I'm in a rush on a long trip, but if at all
possible I throw the camping gear & the dog into the Land Rover and go.  An old
Land Rover may be the slowest car on the road (well, faster than an old VW van),
but it is loaded with chrisma.  Besides, you ever try to sleep inside a TR3?
Its not very comfortable.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561