Gearbox oil, engine/motor

To: "British Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox oil, engine/motor
From: "Rob Reilly" <reilly@admail.fnal.gov>
Date: 25 Oct 1994 16:37:22 -0600
                       Subject:                               Time:4:18 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Gearbox oil, engine/motor              Date:10/25/94

>Chip Old wrote:
>On Sun, 23 Oct 1994, Bob Hamilton wrote:
>       Actually this week I purchased SAE 30 Valvoline non-detergent motor
> oil for the gearbox on my newly purchased '53 Alpine, no problem. >Everyone
wants to put SAE 80-90 in them. Wrong!

>I've often wondered why some BritCar makers specified motor oil for the
gearbox rather than gear oil.  The two types of oil are formulated for
very different types of protection, and theoretically motor oil doesn't
have adequate resistance to high-pressure sliding contact for use in a
gearbox.

Hmm, and yet gear driven camshafts have similar high-pressure sliding
contact. My belief is it has to do with the viscosity and the operation of
the synchros.

>it does sound silly to say "enginecycle" instead of "motorcycle"...

And to end on a humorous note:
In 1894 a Chicago newspaper sponsored a motor race, and as part of the
promotion ran a contest for readers to write in their suggestions for a new
name for these "newfangled vehicles" to replace the commonly used term
"horseless carriage". The winning entry was "Moto-cycle".