AH Engine #s

To: tr361@aol.com
Subject: AH Engine #s
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 08:42:37 -0400 (EDT)
O.K. ! A Healey question. Here goes Chris. THey are both Healey engines
but the second one is a bit of a puzzle. First the basics:

29 - the engine size
K  - the 3000 Mk. III
(E&F are IIs, and Ds are Mk. I)
RU - comes with overdrive
H  - high compression version

The KA can be two things, both meaning that you're looking at a small
run (400 or so) of engines for France.

It could be K F/ and that slash looks like an A. If this is it then it's
a 28?? size engine, smaller for regs in France.
If it's actually KFA then it's a late French engine which is back up to
29?? but has a clear plastic brake fluif bottle and stuff.

As for te 14172 it should be Nov. or Dec of 1966, but engines
were given #s out of sequence, esp around holidays like Xmas. So it could
be a 67 or an earlier 66. Close enough really.
17631 was the final engine number. They made about 3050 in 67, so that
takes you back to engine 1451 as a starting number in 67.

In 1966 they made around 5494, meaning they started at #9087 roughly and
went on from there.

Hope this helps Charles. I have a TR3 as well, seeing your sig. We must
like the number 3 !

Christopher  Ball  triumph@io.org   Toronto, Ont. (416) 751-8300 Work
'75 Spitfire 1500 // '64 Healey 3000 Mk. III // '59 TR3A
   1966 BSA Thunderbolt // Soon to be a tagged collection of parts.