GT6 on the road...YEH! (long)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 on the road...YEH! (long)
From: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 09:53:57 -0500
Hey all,

I went to pick up my newly painted GT6 on Wednesday night....I spotted it
parked outside the body shop and it looked beautiful even from 100 yards!!

On closer inspection, it turned out better than I imagined. There were no waves,
and only some minor dints on the door which I knew were there, but didn't
fill (I was sick of body work!). All the hard work really payed off. The
only think that erked me was the color was slightly wrong. i had asked for
the original #17 Damson, and found in the color book what I thought to
be the correct BLMC color...Damson Richelieu. However, this turned out
a lot less purple than in should be...but I love this deeper red anyway.

I got her towed home and the nest morning I prepped her for spraying the door
jams etc etc. I used a teeny cheapy air brush and it worked real well. I then
spent the rest of the day putting everything back on. i worked like a demon,
but by 6pm everthing but the windshield frame and front/rear windshield was
back on. I couldn't resist taking her for a spin...just like driving a
convertable again!

On friday I started on the frame. This is a real bitch on the GT6. The bolts
are consealed under the dash...and the center bolt can only be replaced
with your hand contorted up under the dash...and of course with a little
black magic. The frame was a real tight fit with all the new rubber seals.
In the end I put  step ladders on either side if the car...ran a 2*4
thru the car and jacked the roof up an inch so I could get the damn thing
in!!!

With the frame in, I turned to the delightful task of installing the windshield.
I called a few places and they all charged around $60 per peice of glass. I
thought 'sod that!'. I summoned my gf, installed the string and posioned the
glass. All was going real well until...PING. Th string snapped. I tried to
remove
the glass to start again..SNAP! I broke it. I was REAL pissed now. I did
manage to not shout at my girlfriend tho' which was a bonus. So, on Saturday
I prepared to drive the 50 miles to Charleston, IL where the Pelhams Triumph
shop and yard is. 60 miles an hour without a windshield really is good fun!
Mark P. got me a windshield out of a sorry Spit' and installed it in 10 mins.!!
He then did the rear glass to in less time. Practise I guess. The trick is
to start at the bottom ahnd push down on the glass...so it lokks like the top
isn't going to fit, and it sticks out...you just push real hard and it moves
down into plave as you work up the sides.

Anyway, I drove home, installed the chrome finisher strips, then went for a
cruise around town!

I spent all day Sunday installing new carpet...only have the driveshaft hump
left to do, detail it all out, and she will be shiny as a new pin!

Marcus