re: Lucas & Armor All

To: BRITISH-CARS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: re: Lucas & Armor All
From: Colin Brace <BRACEC@A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 09:27:00 -0500 (EST)
          First, Amen to Chip Old's posting on Lucas electrics. I've had more
          electrical component failure on the BMW's & VW's I've owned than my
          LBC's. Remember, most of "our" cars are > 15 years old. I always
          chuckle when I read an article in (inevitably) R&T that goes
          something like "Well, in 1963 I picked up a new Humber Super Snipe
          for my filthy rich daddy who immediately had the Lucas electrics
          replaced with Delco." Gee, THAT would be an improvement. Can anyone
          tell me how you replace the "electrics" (what a quaint olde worlde
          expression). Lets see, do you start at the harness & work your way
          out? Replace the Starter, Generator/alternator, distributor, horns,
          lightbulbs, ad nausem? Gotta love it! My friend with the eternal E-
          type restoration (AKA USS Constitution)
          highly reccommends that place in Rhode Island that was previously
          mentioned if you need a harness, I saw it, it does seem like nice
          quality. Of course I can't think of who it is, thats why I
          mentioned it!

          Second, Do Not gat Armor All and any other silicone based
          protectants on your paint, it could very well fish eye when
          repainted, even when stripped to bare metal. the better way to
          apply these products is carefully, with a cloth, so as not to get
          any on the paint. I can provide citations, if required.

          Hope this helps

          Colin     WA1KWA

          bracec@a1.mgh.harverd.edu

          74 MGB