Re: LUCAS wire harness: '69 AH Sprite

To: Robert Scott <rscott@melita.com>
Subject: Re: LUCAS wire harness: '69 AH Sprite
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 03:04:23 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 18 Oct 1994, Robert Scott wrote:

> I am 'restoring' (not to stock) a '69 Austin Healey Sprite and am
> interested in replacing the faulty wire-harness.  From all the
> horror-stories and LUCAS jokes (Off, Dim, Flicker) I've heard,
> I wonder whether a new LUCAS replacement is the way to go?
> Do I have any choice?   What do you think of LUCAS?   Do you
> know of a better quality after-market harness for AH?  Save the
> jokes, I've heard enough of 'em. :-)

Can you still get original Lucas harnesses for older BritCars?  The only
ones I've seen were the (very) occasional NOS ones at flea markets.
Virtually all harnesses currently sold for older BritCars are aftermarket.

You won't hear any Lucas jokes from me.  I've owned _many_ BritCars over
the years, and the only electrical problems I've had were due to age
(which effects any electrical system, Lucas or otherwise), or stupid
bodges done by previous owners.  Or stupid bodges done by me, but we
won't go into that...

Before you rip out your old harness, what exactly is wrong with it?
Unless the insulation is going bad or some PO has bodged it beyond hope,
you might be better off in terms of time and money to repair what you
already have.  New "bullet" connectors are cheap, and easy to solder on.
Bad ground connections (the #1 killer of all old car electrics) are easy
to track down and fix.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
feold@umd5.umd.edu