Acceptable Noise Levels

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Acceptable Noise Levels
From: mcars@vt.edu (J. Matthew Carson)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 1994 14:35:10 +0600
At an autocross in Roanoke in September, we had a problem with noise
complaints. A resident of a nearby neighborhood called his councilman, who
also lived there, who called the police.  The police and the councilman came
down and there was quite a discussion (stopped the autocross for about an
hour).  They finally told us that everyone could run except the AM cars,
since they didn't have legal mufflers.  Even though a couple did have
mufflers.  VT's car has a turbo, so it was fairly quiet, too.  The AM cars
only got two runs in.  Ironically, they still allowed a TVR to run even
though is was louder than the Formula cars.  Several Mustangs there weren't
too much quieter either.  We had never had problems at the lot before, but
we may not use it again.  Of course, the ruling was not a decision of SCCA,
but of the police.  I believe they said it had something to do with the
quality of the sound.  Now if you REALLY want to open up a can of worms.. :)

-Matt

J. Matthew Carson                                              VirginiaTech
Electrical Engineering Class of '97                             Hokies #20!
1986 Mustang GT ESP #10       Blue Ridge Region SCCA         VT Formula SAE