Re: Where there's a Will there's a quiz

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Where there's a Will there's a quiz
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 23:51:08 -0400 (EDT)
Ray wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Oct 1994, PATRICK KREJCIK wrote:
>
> > As for the engine mount and coil theories, am I missing
> > something here, or do you think engines turn in the opposite
> > direction when the car is in reverse?!
> > Patrick.
>
> You're not missing anything.  Don't know about anyone else, but *my* face
> is red.

 You are missing something. True, there is a torque moment (action-reaction)
induced by the engine accelerating. This will always try to move the
engine block in the opposite direction as the crank rotation. But this is
minor compared to the torque moment created by the power unit trying to
accelerate the car via the driveshaft. Going foward, the to torques are
added. In reverse, they're fighting each other. But the driveshaft torque
easily wins out.

 Take any front engine rear drive automatic car, and try powerbraking it
in drive, neutral, and reverse. The engine will hardly move in neutral,
lean right in drive, and lean left in reverse.

   Randy