A question about Leather

To: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Subject: A question about Leather
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 12:23:21 -31702 (PDT)
TeriAnn
        I feel bad about my leather seats going to pot, but I know it
wasn't because I received cheap leather.  I went to the tanners myself
and picked out the hide for color, texture, flex, and stretch.  I made
sure I got vat-dyed (so scratches wouldn't show), and I paid a decent
price for it.
        It is possible that the leather I picked out was more susceptible
to shrinkage than the surface dyed cheaper variety that is commonly sold
in kits.  I didn't think about this.  The vat dying process may end up
making the leather more porous than the surface dying process.  I'd like
to find out.
        Be it known that I didn't use Hide Food every week like I was
supposed to, and this may be most of my problem.  Also, the car did
see rain, ice, snow and hot sun (certainly much more extreme than a
closed or garaged car).
        Query to the list; what have been your experiences with leather
interiors, both surface and vat dyed, preordered and custom made?

                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu