Re: float valves

To: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: float valves
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 11:38:01 +0000
Did you check your fuel pump?  Is it an SU or a 3rd party pump?  (SUs are
"supposed" to crap out every so often, usually they just need adjustment
and inspection).

The very first thing my mechanic friend suggested when I described my
initial problems (when the car would run for a minute and then die) was
to 1) turn on the fuel pump and 2) flush the needle valve with gas.
Remember these are HIFs not HSs so that involves taking the carb off,
inverting it, removing the bottom cover etc. etc.  The idea was that
there could be a bit of crud in the float bowl which would sometimes get
caught in the needle valve.

In my Toyota Corolla years ago a similar problem was improved by
replacing the fuel filter.  On LBCs there very well could be rust
upstream of the fuel pump or between pump and filter.

The reason my HIF4s don't work right now has to do with the manifolds.
The Austin Marina manifold was a single piece, combining both exhaust and
intake.  The normal B ones are separate, of course... and they are about
1/8" different in thickness in my case.  I had flat metal washers to hold
the old manifold on... these when torqued down hold the exhaust manifold
quite securely and let the intake wobble.... causing air leaks and
attendant misery.

I am going over to the B's resting place this afternoon with some
handmade step washers to see if I can get it going again.

Good luck!

John M. Trindle     | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB E Stock     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock