British Cars Digest #1333 Sat Aug 20 01:15:00 MDT 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: British Cars Digest #1333 Sat Aug 20 01:15:00 MDT 1994
From: igeta@ars.ntt.jp (Kazuhiro IGETA)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 11:10:08 +0900
        From: Chris Pallasch <cp@scimitar.pb.owl.de>
        Subject: 1.6/1.7 Cosworth or Lotus-Oselli Motor - someone using ?

        Therefor the question: is anyone of you using a 1.6/1.7
        Ford-based (ca 150-180bhp) Cosworth or the Lotus Oselli Motor
        using ? What is your opinion about it ? Worth it's money,
        problems, details on how it's tuned, ... ?

My caterham has a ~150bhp Lotus Ford 1.7 with tall block ford.
This is not an Oselli prepared nor BD* but has cosworth cams.

Thanks to the gass flowed head and many modern after market parts,
it is powerful, economical and stable.

It broke down only when its water pump(genuine parts!) bearing stick out.
The water pump is not an expensive parts, but replace work requires to
put off the front cover of the engine. It means to the head should be off
before hand:-(

This is the only con for the Lotus TC.

BD* and (of course!)the original pushlod have no front cover,
so the replacement is easy.

I think the best for the money is to buy an well tuned pushlod engine
on the 711M tall block.
They tract no less power(150bhp~) than Lotus twincam head with
the similar durability.

BD* is not the one for you, I think.
It is expensive to buy and own.
And will not increase the authenticity of the car.

        There isn't too much room for the motor in the frame and the
        Ford 4cyl has just the perfect size, esp. width :)

What about ford Zetec?
Or the Mazda rotary black box for the compactness:-)

   minilite aeroquip quaife weber ap
   c   Kazuhiro IGETA : NTT BRL    x
   osworth powermax burton sachs spa