Re: Heat Shield for Carbs and Cleaning Permanent A/Fs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heat Shield for Carbs and Cleaning Permanent A/Fs
From: mws1@admin01.osi.COM (Matt Silveira x257)
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 94 07:28:32 PDT
With regard to the heat shield between the carbs and the manifolds:

Keep it THERE!

The purpose for this shield is quite simple, it acts as a heat
insulator to keep the carbs from vapor locking or boiling fuel out of
their bowls.  While the shield appears to be simple it serves a
purpose.  The back of the shield, at each end, should have asbestos
strips.  You will notice that these strips are strategically placed
near the float bowls of the carbs.  Any shield is better than none
because what you want to accomplish is reflecting the heat from the
exhaust manifold away from the carbs.

With regard to cleaning permanent/reusable A/Fs:

I used sponge Weiand (say WHY_AND) A/Fs for years on my two "Bs'" with
no problem.  I used plain, non-perfumed dish soap (Dawn works best) to
clean them.  I then let them dry very carefully and then *lightly*
oiled them.  In my experience, cleaning with gasoline can, if zealously
used, break down the sponge element.  Moreover, an occasional backfire,
especially after a creative tune-up, could ignite the residual gasoline
vapors and then you would have a messy, melted filter element (and
maybe something much worse.)

Matt Silveira
System Engineer
OSI
matt@osi.com
"Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer."

Thought for the week:

Have a Coke and a smile :-)