Wire Wheels & Knock-Offs

To: British-Cars@Autox.Team.net
Subject: Wire Wheels & Knock-Offs
From: healey@umbar.sps.mot.com (David Lapham H3-355)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 94 13:00:35 CDT
  Regarding Charles Farwell's queries regarding his TR4 and its wheels . . .

While I agree that I feel more comfortable on 60 spoke wire wheels v. 48 spoke,
remember that a lot of cars put a lot of miles on the odometer using 48 spoke
wheels.  This includes racing, and I mean HARD racing.  The wheels need to be
in good shape and should be maintained and checked regularly (this applies to
either 48 or 60 spoke or ???).

As far as tightening the knock-offs, I would say that they should be snug, but
not necessarily *tight*.  That is, don't beat the cr*p out of them or you risk
weakening the threads.  You should check them at least occasionally, and do it
with the wheel off the ground now and then to make sure the wheel is seated on
the hub well.

I speak from some experience (not a lot, but some).  I lost a wheel at over 65
MPH last fall due to a stripped knock-off.  I doubt that I'll ever get all the
pucker marks out of my upholstery.

Dave L.           HEALEY@Oakhill.sps.mot.com            Austin, TX