Mini Disks

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Mini Disks
From: Marcel Chichak <chichm@supernet.ab.ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 1994 22:53:30 MDT
What Ho! Yesterday Duncan old boy wrote:

Something about limeys that sparked a totally irrelevant cross thread
that makes this list so damn interesting to follow, and:

>Has anyone out there, with a drum brake mini, ever swapped the hubs
>for the later disc brake version? I'm toying with the idea of ditching
>the drums. They're not bad, but I hate adjusting them.  Several people
>have said don't bother the braking force is reduced. Anyone been down
>this path?

Been there, done that. You're right, the ball joints, suspension arms etc
are the same. The CV joints, however, are not. To make the swap you'll
need a complete setup from a donor car. If you're sticking with 10"
wheels, you'll need the S stuff, including CV's but you won't need axles
as they're the same (well, close enough). I paid $500 for a set several
years ago, which was and excellent deal because they came with new pads,
seals, pistons, bearings, ball joints and CV's. I'd suggest you watch
CCC or Mini World for a failed project where you can pick up all the
stuff cheap.

If you're going to 12 or 13" wheels then the 1275 GT setup will work.
I'm not sure the Metro stuff will work as a full kit, but I've read
about people using the calipers. If money is no object then 1) KAD will
sell you a state-of-the-art setup, and 2) I'm your best buddy in the
entire world bar none! ;-)

Don't worry about a brake booster (servo) though, without it you get a
very hard pedal but at least you know you're working! I prefer mine
without.

I'll add your name ( and Ben's) to the Mini InterNet International or
M.I.N.I. listserv I'm trying to get up and running (any $%@*& day now!)

Well, Cheerio, and oh, the fall weather here is just spiffy, whot?

*Marcel Chichak  Certified Mini Nut | Go in deeper, come out  *
*voice (403)466-6004                |harder and come from     *
*Edmonton, Alberta, Canada          |behind!, That's what it's*
*chichm@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca       |like to race a Mini!     *
'69 Morris Cooper, 39,999.9 Miles and counting!