Re: Lime Rock, etc...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lime Rock, etc...
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 1994 14:42:33 -0500 (EST)
Hello Friendly SOLers,

Well, this is two weeks in a row that I _just missed_ SOLer Doug Phillips
at a car event. The prior week, we just missed each other at Granby, CT.
WOW.

At any rate, I would like to put in my $.02 worth regarding the Vintage
Festival at Lime Rock. I have now been there every year for the last four
years for a min. of one day. This year, I was there on Sat. only. If I were
to pick the best day to be there (based on all factors), I would have to
say that Sat. is the day. Admission is $15 ($10 if you buy in advance),
you get to see vendors _before_ they run out of stuff and the practice
runs and "qualifying race" are pretty interesting. In fact, the CAN-AM
guys were putting on a pretty good show Sat. afternoon. Admittedly, there
are more cars racing on Mon., but the Sat. show is pretty good for my money.

While there, I carefully contemplated buying a J type overdrive unit for my
TR6. Of course the impetus for this was the fact that the whole way to the
event, the other car that I drove out with kept reminding me of his engine
speed while we were driving down the Mass. Turnpike at 70 MPH... However, I
think I may have come up with a better deal involving a swap for some MGB
parts. I mean there were folks offering the 4 speed with J type OD for
on the order of $800, but you really have no way of knowing what you are
getting 'till you do a tear-down. At least with my other possible deal I
know the guy I'm getting the parts from. And it'll cost a lot less than $800.

On the subject of wheels, I saw not one but TWO complete sets of American
Racing formula Libre wheels, but they were for Spitfires, not the TR6. Also,
I found 2 complete sets of minilites for TR6. Only problem was that they
wanted BIG money for 'em.

I did buy some rear springs for the TR6 from some folks who sell MOSS parts.
So far, these folks were the most knowledgeable folks that I had talked to
on the subject. When I got home and looked at my US MAIL pile, I noticed
a MOSS catalog. In there, there was an article on Triumph IRS springs!
A sign, I'm sure. At any rate, I'll be trying those soon.

Put 350 miles on the car, had no problems. My friend, on the other hand did.
His TR6 kept losing the fuel/temp gauges. We stopped several times to try
to diagnose (as the OD on his car did not work either) and son of a gun the
problem wound up being a broken fuse in the fuse box. By broken I mean that
when he pulled the fuse out, one of the end caps (the metal part) fell out
as a seperate piece. With that being replaced, there were no other problems
all day.

I recommend the Lime Rock BMW Fall Vintage Festival to all.

bye,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |