British sports car in Denmark

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars)
Subject: British sports car in Denmark
From: Chris Pallasch <cp@scimitar.pb.owl.de>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 94 11:13:01 CET
Salute Mark,

> Date: Tue, 30 Aug 1994 04:39:29 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Mark Clark <markc@brahms.udel.edu>
> Subject: Need advice on buying British sports car in Denmark

[...]
> he visited the USA had something to do with it.  Anyway, I need some
> advice from the net as to what sort of car he should get.  Hear are the
> criteria:

I guess a good place to buy a lbc if from denmark is germany. LHD's and
you can simply drive it home by yourown :) Also, prices for most lbc's
are resonable.

> 1) two seats are fine - he almost never carries passengers other than his
> eight year old son.
>
> 2) should have a relatively easy to use top (not a hard top), since it
> rains often in Denmark.  A top like the one on my TR where you take the
> the whole thing off and put it in the trunk is not acceptable.  must also
> have roll-up side windows.
>
> 3) due to tax structure on cars in Denmark, should have small engine,
> probably four-cylinder with about 2000cc displacement or less.
>
> 4) must have reasonable reliability if a restored example is purchased,
> since my friend is not a mechanic.  My TR-4 is an example of the kind of
> reliability level we are looking for, a TR-7 is not.

If it's not a must that the car is 'historic' (but classic) a Scimitar
could be the right car.
While they aren't offered to often I just saw the first since one year
in the german AMS magazin. From the age (5/90) it must be chassis
number 001506 (I know *5 and *7 <g>[x]). Motor is the Ford 1.4l CVH HC.
Milage is about 20.000km (if I remember correctly) and price was
20.000,- DM (=~12.000 $US).

The major tech components are taken from Ford (Motor == Escort,
gearbox/clutch+rear-axle == Sierra), the frame is galvanized
(NOT the first 600 or so, but I guess, this frames don't exist
any more), coachwork is done in fiberglass, design by Michelotti
with a lot of style-elements taken from the TR7/8

There's also a follow'er to the SS1, the 'Scimitar Sabre'. Just since
a couple of months on the market. Looks as if, while Michelotti is dead,
some Miata engeneers wanted to complete the work. Realy no bad car,
but <hope I'm not missunderstood> 'too good'. Too ez to drive, you
feel as you were driving a BMW and no lbc, but netherless, nice car,
a bit too aggressive nose.
New price is about 38.000 DM in Germany (where else get the LHD's ?)
and a 6 month old red Sabre near Hamburg for about 32.000 . Near
Hamburg (Segeberg) there is one of the two Scimitar garages in
germany (mid-europe{\uk}), so, depending on where he lives in denmark,
the way to a garage (chassis/coachwork,..) might not be too far.
SS1 tech can eazyly done by Ford, Sabre by Rover/Ford.

Ah, forgot to mention, the Sabre has now a Rover 1.4li 113hp motor.

An Scimitar SS1/Sabre can be driven from Jan to Dec. There are also
hard-tops available ( my brother ownes one, but only used it one
winter, since then in the cellar :) ), heating is in most cases
too good <g>.
BTW, the SS1 is rearly a rare car; only 1507 where build, only
about 120 left the UK.

        Gruss
          Chris

 [x]
  001507 is owned by my brother; SS1 1800i turbo
  001505 is just rebuild by myself after fire; was 1800i turbo,
         will be 2.0i non-turbo Cosworth-Zetec

--
SCIMITAR: If you know someone, who's selling his Reliant Scimitar SS1 (LHD),
          crash car or bad condition, please instantly e-mail me.