Spitting MGB

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitting MGB
From: amc@berlioz.nsc.com (Andy McLean)
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 94 09:29:42 PDT
Having finally got my '78 MGB idleing and running reasonably well it still
exhibits an annoying habit.  It starts well but backfires quite violently
when changing up through gears until the engine gets up to normal operating
temperature.  I know that the valve clearances/mixture/timing are all
about right BUT the check valve and gulp valve are both non-functional.
Could either be the cause of my waking up half the neigbourhood in the
morning ?  I could just about believe that the exhaust blow-back through
the broken check valve could be what i'm hearing but why would it go away
when the engine heats up ?

Cheers,
       Andy (amc@berlioz.nsc.com)