I must be crazy/Jag XJ12 question

To: british-cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: I must be crazy/Jag XJ12 question
From: Kevin Meek <kevnmeek@netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 1994 10:48:59 -0700 (PDT)
Once again I turn to the combined knowledge of those who "been
there, done that" as regards my latest purchase/mistake.  Although
it could be argued that I seem to ignore the best advice given to
me (thanks Rob Reilly!), eventually it *will* sink in!

I sold most of the reliable cars I had in an effort to reduce the
ever-increasing size of the collection, ending up with only my
Alpine and the Green Godzilla (Daren Stone's ex Magic Arrow Racing
Suburban).  The intent was to purchase one more reliable car for
my wife to drive.  She likes the V****, yet I kept being attracted
to seemingly improbable LBC choices such as the early Jag XJ I
posted about earlier, or cars like the Metropolitan for sale
at a lot in Santa Cruz.  I was heading "over the hill" from Santa
Cruz to San Jose to look at a V**** for sale when my Alpine started
making A VERY BAD NOISE.  Anyway, I turned around and made it back
home.

Naturally, the next day I see an ad for a fuel injected 1976 Jag
XJ12L which "needed some work" for $950.  Completely ignoring all
the wise advice about spending a little more money and getting a
car where someone else has already done all the work, I bought it.

I drove it home, but it was clear before I bought it that it was
gonna need some engine work.  I haven't had time to look at it yet,
but I was told that it is overheating and it feels like it is running
on about half of its cylinders.  At the least, it would probably need
head gaskets replaced and probably some valve work (car has 160K).
Should I a) try to fix this engine  b) get another used one  or c)
install a (gasp!) chevy V8 like the PO suggested.  I know this wont be
a show car, but if I can get it functional enough to drive every day
(so we can start restoring the Alpine!) I would be happy.

If anyone has any info on these cars that they can share with me, I
would much appreciate it!

* Kevin "still havent bought a car for my wife yet" Meek
* kevnmeek@netcom.com
* Santa Cruz, CA