last word on ordering from the UK

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: last word on ordering from the UK
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 94 08:14:23 CDT
I just called the Roadster factory to get quotes for rebuilt GT6 motors and
trannies. Compare these to Mr. Kipping in the UK....

TRF:
Rebuilt SHORT BLOCK i.e. no head, without core charge...a wopping $1695 (poss.
going down to $1495) (shipping extra...'bout $100?)
Rebuilt transmission, without core charge again, $800 (not exact, I think a bit
more like $900) (shipping extra at ????)

Kipping:
Rebuilt LONG BLOCK with core charge, $900. Trick engine for a few hundred more.
(shipping ???? I'd guess in the region of $500....but even them it's cheaper!)
tranny with core charge AND shipping 'bout $370.

Now I know that just two companies are not representative but hell...just using
these two proves MY point, heh heh. I know there are other things that are
cheaper in the states...those parts just don't seem to have broken on my cars
yet!

I had a lengthy and informative discussion with the secretary-come-front-desk-
girl-come-experienced-GT6-mechanic. She said there are basically far more
manufacturers of parts in the UK, plus, there are more salvage parts from other
cars not availlable in the US (Marinas etc etc) for tranny stuff. She was
worried about me putting the GT6 engine in the Spit because my insurance would
shoot up as it's _GASP_ a 2 litre engine. I reminded her that in the United
States, a 6 cylinder 2 liter engine is merely 6 thimbles moving up and down in
a rather insignifcant piece of iron. I didn't tell her the most common motor
here was the 350, or that 500CI monster blocks are farely easily available.

Marcus