Re: '66 Spit: Bell housing/engine...

To: doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com, pat@sbctri.sbc.com
Subject: Re: '66 Spit: Bell housing/engine...
From: doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com (Douglas Mitchell)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 11:59:09 EDT

> Doug, how sure are you about this?
>
> I've gotten several responses saying that it is most likely bent from being
> dropped, etc...   but it really doesn't look damaged to me, and I don't see
> any other evidence of mis-shapen-ness...
>
> Perhaps I'll grab a picture of it tonight and put it up somewhere...
>

> Thanks,
> Pat

First off, let me say that I checked my Illustrated Parts Breakdown last
night, and there isn't any parts missing.

To clarify my previous answer, I am assuming that Pat is refering to the
gap on the mounting face of the bell housing, where the flat mounting
plate and the bell housing are bolted together.

If you look closely at the bell, there is a gap of 1/8 to 1/4 inch in the
area where the starter mounts. The gap in in the bell housing casting, not
the mounting plate. Look at the casting for the bell housing. There is a step
in the casting. If the gap is of constant width, then the mounting plate
is not bent. It is the way the bell is cast. IMHO, it may be a cooling slot
for the starter, or they put it there to confuse restorers. ;-)
There is absolutely nothing to worry about.

If the gap widens substantially when the starter is removed, then the
mounting plate is bent.

Doug Mitchell - Let's be sure we have defined the same gap.