Re: TR6 spring removal & Spridgets

To: jesup@scala.scala.com (Randell Jesup)
Subject: Re: TR6 spring removal & Spridgets
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 13:58:08 -0500 (CDT)
Randell Jesup writes >

>       When I redid my TR6 front a few years back, I used the jack-under-
> the-springpan method, which I had always used with my Sprites (with Spridgets
> it's trivial, there's no tension long before it can come out).

IMHO, the best way to take the front coil spring out of a Midget is the
way it says in the book.

Support the front of the car on jackstands.  Support the hub near normal
ride height.  Remove one at a time the four bolts that hold the spring pan
to the A-arm, replacing each with a longer bolt, threaded full length.
No, I don't remember how long, it says in the manual.  I think about three
inches. Once you have all four long bolts in, start loosening them.  The
spring pan will drop down and the coil spring will harmlessly proceed
through the large hole in the A-arm.  When the spring has been removed,
you are free to do whatever work you like on the entire suspension.

When you are done with all the shock absorber and suspension bushing work
you want/have to do, replacing the spring is simple.  Just put the spring
up through the big hole with the spring pan underneath it. Line up the
long bolts and tighten them alternately as the spring pan rises into place
and the spring compresses.  This would be absurdly easy with an air wrench.

The spring is safely corralled.  There is nothing to slip and jump out at you.
You don't have to disconnect any of the suspension connections.

Winner's Circle uses this feature to mount ride-height adjusters.