RE: Ignition Problems

To: Rick Colombo <colombo@fnal.gov>, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Ignition Problems
From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Thu, 19 May 94 17:52:12 EDT
> I have a 77 MGB and it won't start right now.  The problem is that the coil
> is getting the lower voltage during cranking and the higher voltage
> afterwards, this is the opposite of what it should be.   If I remove a bunch
> of stuff and reassemble it, then it'll will probably work, but I'd like to
> know what component is flaking out.  Does anyone know what makes the
> high/low voltage flip back and forth?  The electrical stuff is too expensive
> to just buy it to try it.

Yes, that one I do know, at least for normal, sane vehicles. The ballast
resistor is what does this. If you have the leads to the ballast resistor
on the wrong terminals, it would do this (I think...). However, the same
problem can be caused by a starter that draws too much current...

--
---
John R. Lupien