Re: Blown 3.5L V8 for sale

To: sfisher@megatest.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blown 3.5L V8 for sale
From: marrone@optilink.dsccc.com (Frank Marrone)
Date: Tue, 17 May 94 14:11:32 PDT
>>~ I'm not sure what the big deal about the 3.5L V8s is
>>~ all about
>>
>>The main big deal is that they're a drop-in for MGBs and
>>several other small-engined cars.  The combination of low
>>weight and small external dimensions makes them an ideal
>>hot-rod powerplant.  In the case of the MGB, they were of
>>course available from the factory for several years.  I,
>>for instance, have always wanted a V8 MGB.

Yes, been there, done that.  Well sort of, I aquired all the
parts, built a mean powerplant and started the conversion but
I was forced to sell out in order to buy our first home.  By
the time I was financially solvent enough to try again I came
across my Tiger.

I would stop short of calling this swap a "drop in" BTW, especisly
in an older B (1972) like mine was.  Also the small block Ford (not
biased am I)  should not be overlooked for many potential 3.5L
applications since it is actually more compact than the 3.5L,
has more HP potential and can be lightened up quite a bit with
aluminum goodies if you have the bucks (also all aliminum blocks
can be had from SVO if you really have the bucks).

Ya, Ya, I know for that particular swap into a B the 3.5L is a lot
easier because it is smaller in the right directions. What I ment
about no big deal is that these power plantas are fairly
common.  Over 500K (I think) built and installed in 1961 thru
1963 Buicks, Olds and Pontiacs. Many more built by the Brits over
the last 25 years or so.  Sure the BPOE units are becomming a bit
scarce but there are a few outfits selling Brit long blocks in the
$500 t0 $1k range. I aquired my 3 of my 4 units in the last 5 years
as follows...

1.  $150 Complete Long block plus accesories from Pick your Parts in
    Hayward CA. (BPOE)

2.  $500 mostly complete long block plus most FI harware from
    East 14th Auto Wreckers in San Leandro CA.  (1980? TR8)

3.  $100 Complete long block pluss accesories plus T-10 4-spd
    bellhousing, flywheel etc.  From private party, was in Vega.
    (BPOE)

Frank Marrone at Marrone@optilink.dsccc.com