Re: Rover panels, Engine Storage

To: jayj@hpislj.lvld.hp.com (Jay Nemeth-Johannes)
Subject: Re: Rover panels, Engine Storage
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 13:31:39 -0500 (CDT)
> When you buy a rebuilt engine from the rebuilder, it generally comes
> wrapped in polypropolyne sheeting and sealed.  Some have had a drying
> agent placed in the plastic wrap (I would worry that this might cause
> corrosive fumes. Anybody have any data on this?)

Never heard of a dessicant giving off corrosive fumes, but anything is
possible without me knowing about it.

> You could also store it in such a way that you could start it every
> few months.  That really isn't too difficult.

Why in the h__

Excuse me.  I forgot my manners.  Let me rephrase that.  I would STRONGLY
discourage this.  You really ought never to start an engine in storage.

Shut it off hot.  Change the oil.  Run it on the starter long enough to
get fresh oil on the bearings.  Drench everything in oil, preferably
synthetic.  Put it somewhere out of the rain and leave it the heck alone.
A big baggie (smaller than an Omnibag or Marshall DryBag, which are sized for
whole CARS) with dessicant could be a good idea.