Decoking cylinder heads

To: "Gavin Walker" <gavin@csis.dit.csiro.au>
Subject: Decoking cylinder heads
From: "Rob Reilly" <reilly@admail.fnal.gov>
Date: 10 May 1994 13:11:12 -0600
                       Subject:                               Time:12:49 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Decoking cylinder heads                Date:5/10/94
Gavin wrote:
> Haynes manual for the Rover V8.
>after you remove the head the engine
can be decoked.  Unfortunately it then says that this is a technique
well known to any home mechanic and it won't go into it.

>  So what is this "well known" technique?

Wasn't it George Bernard Shaw who said "the British and Americans are two
entirely distinct peoples separated by a common language."
Ooops, I see you're in Australia. I guess Shaw left out you chaps down under.
Our exposure to Australians is mostly Crocodile Dundee, but he seems to speak a
third form of English.   ;-)

Anyway, an American would say "remove the valves, clean them, and gently scrape
off the carbon buildup in the head." Or he might say "get the crud out."

You're not alone, Gavin. Yesterday I came across a couple of them that were new
to me, "Mills pin" and "driving dog", both are parts of a water pump.
Regards, Rob

"...in America they haven't spoken it for years." - Professor Henry Higgins