Re:Wonderful Car

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Wonderful Car
From: "John F. Kolb" <RACERX%DLV1@YMV5.YMP.GOV>
Date: Thu, 05 May 1994 07:01:15 -0800 (PST)
Ray Gibbons says:

> 56 Corvette.

My father has a 1956 Corvette that he bought in 1957 from an Army buddy
who was shipping out overseas and couldn't take it with him for $2500.00,
(a lot of money in 1957 for an enlisted man).  It has the transmission
from a '57 because that's the first year for the 4 speeds, and has a new
short block that's been bored 30 over (due to a crack that let cylinder
compression into the cooling system, shooting the radiator cap off !), and
a set of 4:11 gears in the rear, but is other wise original down to the
(remaining rags of ) the convertible top !  Those two 4-barrels really
eat the gasoline, but when you get past half-throttle and the big barrels
on both decide "OK, this guy is serious", it really goes !  It does have
a lot of cowl shake, at least compared to my MG, and is not as fun on the
twisties, but in a straight line it's a blast !

I seriously doubt he would ever sell it, and if he did I'M FIRST IN LINE.
Whenever Mom would complain about that old car taking up all the garage
space, Dad would say "Dear, I've had that car longer than I've know you".
Mom, an intelligent woman, would say nothing further.

JKF - Kolbj@ymv5.ymp.gov - Wind in my Hair, Shifting and drifting
                         - Mechanical music, Adrenalin surge
                         - Rush, from Red Barchetta