Knock Sensors and Compression

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Car List)
Subject: Knock Sensors and Compression
From: gavin@csis.dit.csiro.au (Gavin Walker)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 10:48:30 +1000 (EST)
Hi all,
  I was just wondering which of these engine configurations would be
better
        A high compression engine running low octane fuel and a knock
        sensor.

        or

        A low compression engine running low octane fuel.

The latter wouldn't knock at all and the former would normally knock
but the electronic engine management system retards the timing when
appropriate.

Now for some British content. I was considering building up a Vitesse
spec (9.75:1) Rover V8 engine with an after market Engine Management
System but running 92 octane fuel.  I'm also tossing up whether to
make it 3.5l or 3.9l.

P.S.  I've decided to sell my car.  Anyone want 1979 Rover SD1 with
260 000km (160 000 miles) and almost everything mechanical replaced?
Somewhere around AUS$6000 maybe.

--
  _--_|\             -|-    Gavin Walker