Brake hydraulics

To: jsamuels@lawlib.law.vill.edu
Subject: Brake hydraulics
From: "Gregory T. Fieldson" <krikor@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 11:09:06 -0500
Jeffrey,
  You brake problem sounds, to me, like a perfect example of a bad seal in
the brake master cylinder. Instead of acting like a piston, your master
cylinder is acting like a dashpot (i.e., shock absorber), where although firm
under a rapid impulse, the fluid can slowly leak past the piston under
steady pressure.
  You can buy a kit to renew all of the rubber seals in a master cylinder
for very little money. I am not a pro at this, but I am aware that
sometimes people also hone the cylinder, but I wouldn't know when this is
necessary.

Greg Fieldson
Dept. of Chemical Engineering        krikor@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
The Johns Hopkins University     or  fieldson@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu