Re: How about sharing the mail load?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How about sharing the mail load?
From: mjb (Mark J Bradakis)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 1994 16:52:17 -0700
Skip Montanaro suggests that splitting up the list into different sublists
might be a good thing, in order to ease the mail burden.  Oddly enough, the
autocross list was done that way, and we just recently made it into one
single list, administered from a central site.  The hassles involved in
keeping a multitude of lists up to date outweigh the extra load on the
server.  And if I ever get around to reconfiguring things so that the
mailer does what I think it is supposed to do, that will help.  Like fixing
the problems with UUCP mailers and bang addresses and possible improper
termination of SMTP sessions.

So basically I am strongly in favor of having just one site for the list.
If anyone wants to set up sublists of their own, based on geography, marque
or screen size, feel free to do so, that is indepenent of the Brit list.

Actually what I'd like to do is put *everybody* on the digest list and do
away with the realtime list, but that's another issue.

A fair amount of the load can be handled just by the use of common sense and
courtesy on the part of the list members.  Sure, there are some folks who
have to send off a message about each and every subject; whether or not they
provide anything useful to the thousand or so people who read this list
makes no difference to them.  And there are the folks who include the COMPLETE
message to which they are responding, when a simple bit of editing would do
wonders.

Hmm, stuff like this is discussed in the intro posting I send out to new
members, I think it has been a while since I accidently posted the message
to the whole list, hasn't it?  Maybe when I'm going through the request mail
this weekend my fingers might slip.

mjb.