Re: differiential lubrication

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: differiential lubrication
From: taterry@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 94 16:43:51 EST
the problem:  i modified my TA rear end to accept the spridget 4;55/1
pumpkin, third member or whatever.  the hypoid gears "pump" a lot more than
the originals and that necessitated adding an additional breather hole in the
axle to vent the pressure.  put it well out board near the spring hanger and
used an mga vent which prevents water entry.

in spite of this additional vent, i still get gear oil coming out the vent
tho it might be foam.  assuming it is foam, i am thinking of switching the
lubricant from 90w oil to a synthetic which i understand will not foam.

i remember reading that if the synthetic is contaminated with gear oil, it
loses its anti-foaming properties.  can any of you chemical engineers shed
any light on this??  do i have to "cleanse" my entire axle housing before
making the switch?  can anyone suggest an anti-foaming agent that could be
added to the existing oil?

if anyone is interested in this conversion (spriget to old MG) i did a little
write up on it.
cheers
t a terry