Upgrade to OD & Trans. swaps for TRs

To: zimerman@MIT.EDU, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Upgrade to OD & Trans. swaps for TRs
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 94 09:21:35 -0800
In message <9403080252.AA14386@carbonara.MIT.EDU> Jacob ben-David Zimmerman
writes:

> Being a highway driver in my TR6, I too have wondered about the feasibility
> of upgrading to an overdrive transmission.  Can this be done, or were the
> cars
> different enough to make it a Very Large Task (i.e. body machining, etc. as
> opposed to 'just' replacing the transmission and connecting the new systems.)
> -read, enough to make it highly theoretical for someone who commutes in his
> TR6.  Sigh.  If only I was well enough off in terms of money and time to
> treat
> her the way she deserves. I just wonder how long she'll put up with me.
>
> -JBZimmerman!

In most cases, you can get away with:

1. swaping your transmission for an overdrive transmission

2. Adding a longer speedometer cable

3. Adding an overdrive switch, relay and making up the special subharness..
MGBs already have the switch and most of the subharness built into the car.
With Triumphs you need to put it all in.

4. In some cases you will need to add a longer or shorter drive shaft. But you
can usually get away without doing this if the two versions are within an inch
or so of each other in length.

5. Everything will mate fine to the clutch & engine as long as you are just
swaping in the same type of transmission except for OD verses no OD.

Now for the interchangability part for early TR owners.

A TR4 all syncro will bolt into a TR2->3A.  You need to replace the TR4 shift
lever with the TR3 lever.  Also the transmission mounting holes need to be
elongated with a file.

The TR6 transmission fits into a TR2->4A.  You will need to use the TR4A
flywheel and clutch (lighter than a TR3 flywheel).  You will need to bend back
the flanges on the frame member that mounts the transmission and redrill the
mounting holes.

 Why would someone want to put a TR6 transmission into a TR2->4A you ask?
Because there is some extra ribbing at the base of the bell housing that makes
the case stronger.  It seems some racers are braking the transmission housing at
the base of the bellhousing.

Some racers are putting TR6 flywheels and clutches into TR3 & 4s to reduce
weight.  You need to use the later throwout bearing and holder.

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561