Off season battery maint.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Off season battery maint.
From: "jbabcock" <jbabcock@netrix.com>
Date: 4 Mar 1994 14:04:55 U
Something just occurred to me yesterday as I was hooking up my newly acquired
battery charger to my LBC that I think I should pass along.  There was a garage
file last year in my area that destroyed the owner's garage and his recently
restored Lotus.  The paper said that the fire started due to a fire from the
battery.  I expect that this person probably had a maintanence charger on his
battery since he probably didn't drive it too much.  He probably left the
bonnet closed or otherwise allowed the vapors from the charging battery to
accumulate.  As most of you know, a lead acid battery gives off hydrogen gas
when it charges.  Any little spark will ignite the accumulated gas.
So just a reminder...make sure there is plenty of ventilation around your
battery if you leave a charger on it.

-Jim.